Christmas gifts for pets? November 30, 2009Posted by ourfriendben in critters, pets, wit and wisdom.
Tags: holiday gifts for pets, pet Christmas gifts, pet gifts, Snuggle Safe Heat Pad
Our friend Ben saw an article in our local paper, the Allentown, PA Morning Call, this morning citing statistics from an Associated Press-Petside.com poll that 52% of pet owners plan to buy their pets a holiday gift this year. Our friend Ben frankly wonders what the other 48% are thinking.
Not that you have to actually buy something to make your pets happy. Sharing some of your food is enough to make almost any pet ecstatic, whether it’s a little salad with your bunny or a fragment of pumpkin bread or cheese with your cat or pretty much anything with your dog. (No chocolate for any pet, though, please, it poisons them.) Another gift any pet will love is the gift of your time: petting the cat, talking to the bird, throwing a Frisbee for the dog.
If you want to buy a little something to put under the tree, our friend Ben directs your attention to our earlier post, “The best Christmas presents for pets.” (Search for it on our search bar at top right.)
But there’s another present you might want to consider this year if, unlike us, you have a microwave. A reader of our paper wrote in to the pet column to recommend it. She uses it to keep feral (outdoor) cats warm during cold weather, but adds that they’re also great for old or sick pets who need extra warmth indoors. It’s called a Snuggle Safe Heat Pad, and apparently looks like a solid Frisbee. You microwave the pad for 5 minutes, slip it inside its protective fleece cover (so pets won’t be burned), and it will stay warm for 12 hours, so pets can lie on it or snuggle up against it to combat the cold. Like Carrie Morris, who recommended the Snuggle Safe Heat Pad, you might want to microwave it in the morning and again at night so your pets have access to 24-hour warmth and comfort. Great idea!
Do you have any favorite gifts for your pets? If so, please share them with us!