Talk like a pirate—or else. September 19, 2010Posted by ourfriendben in wit and wisdom.
Tags: International Talk Like a Pirate Day, No Quarter Given, pirates, Talk Like a Pirate Day
Aaaarrrr!!!! Yaaarrrrr!!! Look sharp, mateys, today, September 19th, is International Talk Like a Pirate Day! So stir yer stumps and start talkin’, you savvy?!
We here at Poor Richard’s Almanac have a thing about pirates, so we look forward to Talk Like a Pirate Day all year. You can get in on the celebration by searching for some of our previous posts in the search bar at upper right, including “The best pirate movies,” “Ben Picks Ten: Pirates,” “Pirate myths: true and false,” “A piratical post,” “The ones who got away,” “Time to talk like a pirate,” “Food fit for a pirate” (with recipes), “Food fit for a Creole pirate” (ditto), “Giving pirates a bad name,” and “Blackbeard in the news.”
You can also check out two of the best pirate-themed websites, the Official Site for International Talk Like a Pirate Day (http://www.talklikeapirate.com/), run by those illustrious pirates, Cap’n Slappy and Ol’ Chumbucket, authors of the classic books Pirattitude and The Pirate Life: Unleashing Your Inner Buccaneer, and No Quarter Given (http://www.noquartergiven.net/), home of the No Quarter Given pirate magazine and a new book, The Book of Pirates: Plundering, Pillaging, and Other Pursuits.
But if you’d rather walk the talk than read about it, here are a few suggestions for ways to celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day:
* Begin every conversation and phone call by shouting “AAAARRRR!!!” (or “YAAARRR!!!”) Hopefully, at least one call will be from a telemarketer.
* Watch some piratical movie classics like “Captain Blood,” “The Black Swan,” “The Buccaneer,” or “Swashbuckler,” or indulge in a “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie fest.
* Quench your thirst while watching movies with some piratical rum-based beverages from Silence Dogood’s post “Food fit for a pirate.” Or just drink some English Harbour Antigua Rum or Gosling Black Label straight up. Shiver me timbers!
* Fly the Jolly Roger over your home and/or car. Give the neighbors something to talk about.
* Walk around all day attired as your favorite pirate. (Our friend Ben favors Stede Bonnet or Black Bart, the Great Pirate Roberts; Silence thinks Anne Bonny would be a good choice; and Richard Saunders would love to be Blackbeard, but is afraid of setting his faux beard on fire by lighting fuses in it as the actual Blackbeard did to terrify his enemies; the Michael Jackson look is not for him, so he’d probably be Calico Jack Rackham or Captain Morgan.) Remember that an eyepatch and/or huge hoop earring always adds panache, unless you’re in character as any of the above. Ditto a parrot, real or faux. A prominently displayed pistol and cutlass should probably be enough to cut off any derisive comments from killjoys who don’t understand that wearing a costume and getting into character is fun. Especially if the pistol is loaded.
* Lard your conversation with piratical phrases such as “Yo ho, me hearties!” “A pirate’s life for me!” “Dead men tell no tales!” “X marks the spot!” “Send that lubber to Davy Jones’s locker!” “You savvy?” “Bring out the swag!” “Take no prisoners!” and the like. Bonus points if you teach your parrot any of these phrases.
Best get started, mateys. You savvy? The day’s slippin’ away, and there’s rum to be drunk, battles to be fought, and treasure to be found. AAAARRRRR!!!!