Open wide and say “Aaaarrrrr!!!” September 19, 2011Posted by ourfriendben in wit and wisdom.
Tags: fun pirate festivals, International Talk Like a Pirate Day, No Quarter Given, pirate week, pirates, Seaport Festival, Talk like a Pirate
Today, September 19th, is International Talk Like a Pirate Day, and we pirate-mad lubbers here at Poor Richard’s Almanac would like to celebrate.
You can get in on the celebration by searching for some of our previous posts in the search bar at upper right, including “The best pirate movies,” “Ben Picks Ten: Pirates,” “Pirate myths: true and false,” “A piratical post,” “The ones who got away,” “Time to talk like a pirate,” “Food fit for a pirate” (with recipes), “Food fit for a Creole pirate” (ditto), “Giving pirates a bad name,” and “Blackbeard in the news.”
There’s a whole week of piratical mayhem going on in Philadelphia and other cities up the Atlantic Seaboard, which launched with a pirate battle yesterday aboard the tall ship Gazela. Read all about it at www.philly.com, “Mock-pirate skirmish on the Delaware amid Seaport Festival.” The descriptions are priceless.
You can also check out two of the best pirate-themed websites, the Official Site for International Talk Like a Pirate Day (http://www.talklikeapirate.com/), run by those illustrious pirates, Cap’n Slappy and Ol’ Chumbucket, authors of the classic books Pirattitude and The Pirate Life: Unleashing Your Inner Buccaneer, and No Quarter Given (http://www.noquartergiven.net/), home of the No Quarter Given pirate magazine and a book, The Book of Pirates: Plundering, Pillaging, and Other Pursuits.
But if you’d rather walk the talk than read about it, here are a few suggestions for ways to celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day:
* Begin every conversation and phone call by shouting “AAAARRRR!!!” (or “YAAARRR!!!”) Hopefully, at least one call will be from a telemarketer.
* Watch some piratical movie classics like “Captain Blood,” “The Black Swan,” “The Buccaneer,” or “Swashbuckler,” or indulge in a “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie fest.
* Quench your thirst while watching movies with some piratical rum-based beverages from Silence Dogood’s post “Food fit for a pirate.” Or just drink some English Harbour Antigua Rum or Gosling Black Label straight up. Shiver me timbers!
* Fly the Jolly Roger over your home and/or car. Give the neighbors something to talk about.
* Walk around all day attired as your favorite pirate. Remember that an eyepatch and/or huge hoop earring always adds panache. Ditto a parrot, real or faux. A prominently displayed pistol and cutlass should probably be enough to cut off any derisive comments from killjoys who don’t understand that wearing a costume and getting into character is fun. Especially if the pistol is loaded.
* Lard your conversation with piratical phrases such as “Yo ho, me hearties!” “A pirate’s life for me!” “Dead men tell no tales!” “X marks the spot!” “Send that lubber to Davy Jones’s locker!” “You savvy?” “Bring out the swag!” “Take no prisoners!” and the like. Bonus points if you teach your parrot any of these phrases.
So say it loud and say it proud: “Aaaarrrrr!!!! Yaaaaarrrr!!! A pirate’s life for me!!!”